DJI Unveils New Modular Action Camera: The Action 2
In part two of DJI’s 3 part announcement, the Chinese drone giant has unveiled its latest product: the Action 2. This is a tiny, versatile, modular action camera that is capable of 4K120 video and 12-megapixel stills.
As a powerful, waterproof action camera that weighs in at a minuscule 56g, with new colour science and a plethora of useful accessories, the Action 2 promises to be a huge upgrade from its predecessor.
The new camera’s sensor is 1/17-inch and is capable of recording 4k video of up to 120fps, 12-megapixel stills in both RAW and JPEG, and features a super wide-angle 155º field of view.
DJI claims that the camera features a new “colour temperature sensor” that monitors the environment and helps the camera to render accurate colour tones, even in challenging lighting – for example, when underwater.
DJI has a wealth of experience in creating camera systems that are as stable as possible. The Action 2 uses DJI’s Rocksteady 2.0 image stabilisation technology, with implementations of brand new technology like DJI’s version of the GoPro horizon lock: “DJI HorizonSteady”.
DJI claims this “maintains a level frame throughout the shot, even during your more dynamic moments”.
The camera also packs a tiny 1.76-inch OLED screen which, as the camera is modular, is detachable. The Action 2 can feature a battery runtime of approximately 70 minutes when being used alone, or 160 minutes when attached to the screen module.
As this camera is primarily designed to be used for video, DJI has developed it and its accessories with vloggers in mind.
Each module has an internal microphone, and DJI has developed a clip-able wireless microphone system (similar to the Rode Wireless Go II) that can be connected to the camera for clear high-quality audio when required.
DJI has designed the Action 2 to be as versatile as possible, packing in a variety of new and improved shooting modes, including:
- Slow Motion: record video in slow motion (4K/120fps and 1080p/240fps).
- Hyperlapse and Timelapse: capture unique content with the effect of the world moving faster. During Hyperlapse recording, users can switch to and from regular speed recording for interesting creative styles.
- QuickClip: set the device to take short 10, 15, or 30-second videos, perfect for social media.
- Livestream: use DJI Action 2 to broadcast a livestream with a stable stream output of up to 1080p/30fps.
- UVC: DJI Action 2 can be used as a USB video device class for your computer, for high-quality video for conference calls and gaming broadcasts, etc.
Although the camera can be controlled via the touch screen, it functions best when connected to the DJI Mimo app.
This includes an intuitive AI editor, which automatically selects epic captured moments and cuts them together with seamless transitions and music, meaning that users on the move can effortlessly cut together sharable videos for social media.
DJI has created a range of accessories to help users maximise the usability of the new Action 2 camera. Some accessories included in the list are similar to GoPro accessory pack essentials, like body and head mounts, while others are more advanced lens adapters.
The full list can be seen below:
- Front Touchscreen Module: a front-facing OLED touchscreen and three built-in microphones.
- Power Module: provides up to 180 minutes of filming and an additional microSD card slot. A hot-swappable design means you can change between power modules for all-day power.
- Magnetic Lanyard: discrete lanyard to keep hands free while capturing moments from a body-cam view.
- Magnetic Headband: another hands-free alternative that allows users to shoot videos in unique FPV.
- Magnetic Ball-Joint Adapter Mount: an adhesive base allows users to attach DJI Action 2 to any surface and enjoy 360° of freedom to fix the camera in any direction. A standard 1/4″ screw hole is compatible with most camera accessories.
- Magnetic Adapter Mount: this mount securely holds DJI Action 2 in place during extreme sports or demanding scenarios.
- Remote Control Extension Rod: 3-in-1 accessory serves as an extension rod, tripod, and detachable remote controller.
- Floating Handle: film in water without fear of losing the camera. An anti-slip grip makes it easy to hold, and the handle can be attached to a tripod and/or the DJI Action 2 Waterproof Case.
- Waterproof Case: this houses DJI Action 2 Camera Unit and front touchscreen module or power module, to depths of up to 60 metres.
- DJI Action 2 Macro Lens: optical glass with multi-layer coating attaches magnetically over the camera unit lens, making for ideal close-up shots.
- DJI Mic: wireless dual-channel recording system that adds clear and crisp audio to your videos. DJI Mic has a recording range of up to 250 metres and is compatible with Action 2, smartphones, and any device that has a 3.5mm audio input.
The new DJI Action 2 Power Combo will cost £349 UK / $399 US. The package includes DJI Action 2 Camera Unit, Power Module, Magnetic Lanyard, and Magnetic Adapter Mount.
Other Action 2 accessories are sold separately via the DJI website.