South Africa Photo Safari, Kruger National Park
July 3rd - 11th 2018
Set in one of Africa’ prize game reserves, this photo safari is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Sharpen your wildlife photography skills during close encounters with an impressive array African wildlife, including the famous Big Five. Expect to photograph herds of elephants, the endangered white rhino, impressive lion prides, and the elusive leopard.
During this 8-day photography tour, you’ll experience:
- Incredible game drives looking for African wildlife
- Workshops and tuition from professional photographer Alan Hewitt
- A real rehabilitation centre to get close-up, unique angles of animals
- Huge canyons to try out some landscape photography
This tour is operated by Penda Photo Tours. Enquire below for more details and booking information:
This photo safari is set in Sabi Sands, a collection of game reserves that borders Kruger National Park. Sabi Sands offers truly unique safari experiences; nowhere else in Africa do you spot the Big Five with such ease. We’ll enjoy two game drives a day, at times when the African light creates its magic and wildlife at its most active. The drives will be in open game drive vehicles, with no more than six photographers per vehicle, and you’ll be guided by expert rangers and trackers.
On top of this, we will spend three days exploring further photographic opportunities in the Greater Kruger Area. Among these will be the Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre and the Kinyonga Reptile Centre, where we will learn about conservation issues in the area and photograph a variety of animals from interesting and close-up angles. Being so close to the different animals will allow you to get that perfect shot of a chameleon catching a fly, or a venomous and beautiful snake slithering directly at you.
Everything during this photo safari will be about photography. We will have the luxury of having the lodges to ourselves, and the opportunity to build the whole experience around getting the very best images. Throughout the experience, Alan will be providing personal tutoring, ensuring that everyone gets the most out of the experience. The photo safari is suitable for photographers of all levels, as Alan will tailor his tutoring to each individual.
“I can’t stop talking about the experience. We were so blessed to see so much wildlife in such a short space of time. Every game drive held an incredible experience. The entire experience, the helpful staff, the incredibly talented guides, Alan, the people participating, such good service, and the abundance of wildlife is absolutely priceless.” – Bianca Lyness, South Africa
The tour will cost £3295 per person sharing (enquire about single supplements):
The price includes:
- Accommodation at Galago Lodge in Djuma Private Game Reserve and a bush lodge near Hoedspruit. We will have exclusive use of both lodges
- Three meals a day on day 5 to 9, and breakfast and dinner on day 1 to 4
- All game drives at Djuma in private open game drive vehicles, accompanied by professional guides and trackers
- Photographic tutoring by Alan Hewitt
- All entrance fees
- Professional guidance by a reptile handler at Kinyonga
- Airport transfers from Hoedspruit Airport
- An indirect contribution to the Penda Trust, as part of our proceeds go towards funding the running costs of our charity
- A tree that will be planted on your behalf by Greenpop, as a way to help compensate for your carbon footprint
The price doesn’t include:
- Flights to Hoedspruit Airport
- Travel insurance
- Any items of a personal nature
Some key details of this tour:
- Max Group Size: 6
- Experience Level Required: Suitable for all levels
- Focus: Wildlife photography
- Tour leader: Alan Hewitt
- Tour dates: July 3rd – 11th 2018
- DSLR camera
- Range of lenses; ideally ranging from wide-angle for landscape to telephoto for wildlife
- Tripod or bean bag
- Sturdy camera bag
- Laptop if you’re keen to improve your post-production skills, and/or if you’d like to review your images with Alan
Day 1: Arrival at Hoedspruit Airport, where you will be met by one our team members and driven to your lodge. Here, we’ll settle in and enjoy a first workshop by Alan.
Day 2: We’ll explore the area and focus on some landscape photography. Driving the impressive panorama route, we’ll visit God’s Window, the Potholes, and Blyde River Canyon, an impressive canyon that offers stunning vistas.
Day 3: We’ll visit Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre and Kinyonga Reptile Centre. These stops will offer amazing opportunities to photograph wildlife from very close-up angles.
Day 4: We will start the day with a photography session at the lodge, which will include reviewing images, theory work, and preparing for the photographic adventure we’re about to embark on. Then we’ll head to Djuma Game Reserve, undoubtably the highlight of the photo safari, where we’ll have time to settle in before heading out on our first game drive.
Day 5 – 8: We’ll be treated to four days of game viewing in Djuma. We’ll start each day with a three-hour game drive, as the African sun shines its first light. You’ll be guided by an experienced ranger and tracker, and accompanied by Alan for photographic guidance. A full and delicious breakfast will be waiting for you at the lodge when you return, and there will be time for photography workshops, editing, and relaxing afterwards. After lunch, at the end of the afternoon, we’ll head out for another three-hour game drive. This time we’ll photograph in the last warm light of the day, and experience the bush as night is falling. The day will be concluded by an indulgent dinner at the lodge.
Day 9: After our last game drive it’s time to wrap up the workshop and we’ll head back to Hoedspruit Airport to catch our flights home.